We all know how tempting sugary drinks, juices, carbonated drinks and candy can be when you have a sweet tooth, but it is also important to understand and remember that these indulgences can put you at a higher risk of tooth decay, bacteria, staining, hypersensitivity and poor overall oral health. While enjoying these treats in moderation are not AS bad for you, excessive consumption can lead to big problems in the long run.
Carbonated Drinks Are Acidic
When manufacturers create carbonated drinks, they make the liquid fizzy by dissolving pressurized carbon dioxide in it. Carbonic acid isn’t the only problem in fizzy drinks, many of them also contain citric acid, which is used to give the flavor of the drinks a hint of tartness. Together, these acids attack your tooth enamel, weakening it and even leading to cavities.
Sugary Drinks Are Even Worse
Sugar-free options aren’t as dangerous as those that are packed full of sugar because a regular 12-oz can of soda may have up to 40 grams of sugar. Sugar can cling to your teeth, interacting with the bacteria in your mouth and then leading to plaque and acid that contribute to decay.
Tips & Tricks to Stay Away From Treats:
- If you’re going to eat candy and other sweets, make sure you do it during meals when your saliva can help neutralize the acids.
- Avoid sticky or hard candy, that stays in your mouth longer, resulting in acid being constantly exposed to your teeth.
- Make sure the water you drink is fluoridated.
- Maintain your daily oral hygiene habits (brushing twice a day, and flossing at least once).
- Visit your dentist twice a year for regular dental checkups and cleanings.
- Choose sugar-free options.
- Drink with a straw to reduce the contact of acid to your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth after consuming sweets or carbonated drinks.
- Brush your teeth within the hour after you are done.
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002. Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.