Signs and Symptoms of Tooth Enamel Loss
Tooth enamel loss is not always obvious, but some possible signs of damage to the tooth enamel include:
- Shape and Color. If your teeth look yellow or especially shiny, you may be experiencing tooth enamel loss.
- Sensitivity. Increased sensitivity to hot, cold, or sweet foods may be an early sign of tooth enamel loss. Later stages of tooth enamel loss can cause more extreme sensitivity.
- Roughness. If your teeth are becoming rough around the edges, you may be experiencing early stages of tooth enamel loss. In addition, indentations on the surface of the teeth can indicate tooth enamel loss.
Other Possible Causes of Enamel Erosion
Overexposure to stomach acid is among the possible causes of tooth enamel erosion. Conditions that promote this problem include:
- Bulimia. The repeated vomiting that characterizes bulimia exposes the teeth to stomach acid.
- Acid Reflux. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), acid reflux, or heartburn can contribute to tooth enamel erosion.
- Binge Drinking. Frequent bouts of binge drinking that lead to vomiting put stomach acid in frequent contact with tooth enamel.
Can Tooth Enamel Be Restored?
Although tooth enamel cannot be rebuilt, you can prevent enamel loss from acid erosion with a good oral care routine. This will help neutralize the plaque bacteria around your gum line that can weaken that enamel. It also contains active stannous fluoride, which binds to and strengthens enamel to create a micro-thin shield against acid attack.
Additionally, make sure you rinse with an anti-bacterial mouthwash.
How to Stop Enamel Erosion
Tooth enamel loss puts your teeth at increased risk for tooth decay. Some tooth enamel loss occurs naturally with age. But you can help stop harmful tooth enamel loss by following a regular oral care routine of twice-daily tooth-brushing and daily flossing. Your tooth enamel is the first line of defense for your teeth against the tooth decay.
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002.
Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.