Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD) explains a variety of conditions that include problems with your face and jaw muscles. These issues stem from the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ), a hinge that connects bones in your skull in front of your ears to your jaw. This joint allows you to talk, chew and yawn and if you allow TMD to influence your life it can be very painful and interfere with these basic daily functions.
Common Symptoms of TMD:
- Tired and aching facial muscles
- Pain in the entire surrounding area such as your mouth, jaw, shoulders and neck
- Popping sounds or grating sounds when chewing
- Jaws that are fixed shut or open
Risks from having TMD:
- Women have a higher risk than men
- TMD is mostly common between the ages of 20 to 40 years old
- Stress can lead to strained facial muscles and clenching of your jaw and teeth
- Excessive tooth grinding during the day and while asleep
- Arthritis surrounding the affected area
You are able to prevent TMD by focusing on reducing your risk factors. There are also some TMD exercises you can practice to help lessen the pain and relax your muscles. These exercises overall improve your posture and help in strengthening the supporting muscles that interact with your face and jaw.
About Johnson Family Dentistry
We are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles!
We feel that the purpose of our practice is to provide optimum dental care for each of our patients. It is our mission to deal with each person as if they were a member of our family and treat them as we would want to be treated ourselves.
Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002