Swallowing problems can occasionally happen, but if it persists, talk to your doctor since it could be related to something serious. Causes of swallowing issues vary and treatment depends on what is causing the problem.
If you are having trouble swallowing, to prevent choking and aspiration avoid these foods:
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Extremely Hot Foods And Beverages
- Spicy Foods
- Bran Cereal
- Cottage Cheese (Unless Pureed)
- Skins Of Fruits
- Dry, Crumbly, Or Sticky Foods (Such As Bread, Cake, Peanut Butter, Banana)
Depending on level of swallowing difficulty, the following foods may be included in the diet. These foods are grouped into four different categories:
- Thin liquids that dissolve quickly in the mouth such as frozen yogurt, ice cream, gelatin and broth.
- Nectar-like liquids where liquid coats and drips off a spoon such as nectars, milkshakes, cream soup and vegetable juices.
- Honey-like liquids that flow off a spoon in a ribbon like in yogurt, tomato sauce and honey.
- Spoon-thick liquids that are thickened to pudding consistency such as pudding, custard or hot cereal.
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002.
Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.