Due to new age technology, enhanced dentistry and better nutrition being available today these factors aid in keeping your natural teeth healthy much longer than in previous generations. However, even with these new elements, it is still inevitable sometimes to lose some teeth as you age. And with this happening, it makes it harder to keep your confident smile and oral health high.
How Removable Dentures Work
When losing a tooth, the options you usually have are either dental implants or dental bridging, which are great alternatives for replacing lost teeth. However, when you lose multiple teeth those replacement options are not always the best for that situation. Sometimes they can even be a waste of your time and money. This is mainly the reason why removal dentures are still in business today. They are a simple easy solution that tend to last a long time. You may be wondering what kind of options for dentures you have today, below are a couple examples of dentures available for you:
- Partial Dentures. These types of dentures are used primarily to replace teeth that are lost in a row.
- Full Dentures. These types of dentures are used to replace a full arch of teeth and possess a natural look to them.
How to Clean, Care and Prolong Dentures
The average denture can last up to ten years before you have to replace them if you take care of them properly. Below are some easy steps to follow to ensure a long-life span for your dentures and what makes them last as long as possible.
- Handle with Care. Making sure to handle your dentures gently and carefully when you remove or clean them is vital to their continuance. Be aware to also never drop your dentures, they can become damaged, bent and unable to fit well in your mouth.
- Keep Clean. You may believe that since your dentures are not real teeth and cannot obtain cavities or plaque, you do not have to clean them regularly. However, you are still at a risk for gum disease and your dentures can become discolored or stained. Make sure to remove them every night and clean them thoroughly in cold or lukewarm water and be very gentle. It is also vital to never use your everyday toothpaste to clean your dentures, due to the risk of them becoming damaged. There is a special denture toothpaste available to purchase specifically for them.
- Soak Overnight. You must remove and soak your dentures overnight to protect your mouth and take pressure off of your jawbone. Soaking them is a must because of the moisture needed to keep them from drying out.
Visit Your Dentist Regularly. Even if you have a full mouth of dentures that have replaced all of your teeth it is still crucial you see your dentist twice a year for a checkup/exam. This is due to the fact that there is always a risk for gum disease and compromises to your oral health. Your dentist can examine your dentures and make sure they are strong and in good condition fitting in your mouth properly.
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002
Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.