Headaches are typically one of the most common health concerns on the globe today. This condition affects people of all ages, nationalities, race and gender. But headaches paired with jaw pain is something completely different. When you combine jaw pain and headaches, which is less common, you may have something more than just a headache, especially if you are a woman. There are plenty of factors that can cause and pose risks for a headache, which makes the culprit of your headache harder to expose. If you happen to suffer from frequent and recurrent headaches accompanied by jaw pain, it is very likely you are suffering from TMJ syndrome.
Your TMJ hinge is located by the front of your ears which allows your jaw to move up, down and side to side while talking or chewing. When your TMJ hinge does not work properly, it causes discomfort, inflammation and pain in various part of the head. The most common symptom of TMJ is a headache, and they are most of the time undiagnosed. Tension headaches, migraines, cluster headaches as well as sinus headaches can all mimic TMJ symptoms which is why patients leave misdiagnosed. Some other symptoms of TMJ disorder include:
- Jaw pain
- Ear pain
- Facial pain
- Eye pain
- Neck/Shoulder pain
- Grinding teeth
- Jaw swelling
- Ringing in the ears
- Jaw popping/locking
Symptoms that your Headache and Jaw Pain may be TMJ:
- Your jaw may be popping or clicking when you talk or chew. Hearing noises in your jaw is a sign that your TMJ is misaligned.
- You are having facial pain and your bite is not feeling right.
- Your head is in front of your shoulders. Posture plays a big role in TMJ, your head should be centered over your shoulders.
- You snore when you sleep. Snoring is a sign of TMJ due to the positioning of your lower jaw. When is it positioned too far back, your tongue does the same which can cause snoring. Basically, your muscles which support your jaw are positioned incorrectly which leads to headache and TMJ.
How to get relief from TMJ:
- Practice TMJ exercises
- Maintain a healthy and soft diet
- Break habits such as gum chewing and teeth grinding
- Limit stress
- Get enough sleep
- Keep up with regular dental check-ups
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002. Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.