Dental implants are essentially artificial teeth roots that are placed into your jaw to hold replacement teeth or bridges. These implants provide options for people who have lost teeth because of an injury, illness or periodontal disease. A person who is in good general health and has healthy gum tissues are great candidates for dental implants. After your dental implant procedure your mouth will require some care. Just like everyday care for your mouth in general, after having dental implants it is vital to make sure to keep your mouth clean, brushed and flossed. Periodic follow ups will be necessary to ensure your mouth is healing properly and your oral health stays good. There are two different kinds of dental implants a person can receive:
- Endosteal is the first type of dental implant. This implant uses screws, cylinders or blades that are placed into the bone of your jaw. Endosteal are the most commonly used implants, with each implant being able to hold one or multiple prosthetic teeth and is typically used in patients that have bridges or removable dentures.
- Subperiosteal is another type of dental implant that is placed directly onto the top of the jawbone using metal posts that protrude through the gum to hold the prosthetic into place. These specific dental implants are used for patients who have minor bone height and who are unable to wear regular dentures.
Dental procedures consist of a team effort between your dentist and periodontist determining how your implant should be placed and where. It all depends on the condition of your teeth and the type of implant that you need. Your periodontist will then create a plan that is specifically made for you and your specific condition. Here is what the dental implant procedure typically entails:
- Single Tooth Replacement. If you happen to be missing one tooth a single dental implant and crown can be placed to replace it.
- Multiple Teeth Replacement. If you are missing several teeth, implants and bridges can be used to replace them.
- Full Mouth Replacement. If you are missing all of the teeth in your mouth, an implant, fully supported bridge and denture can be used to replace them.
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002. Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.