Established in 1859 the American Dental Association (ADA) promotes the art and science of dentistry by supporting dental professionals through various types of services. Their mission is to ensure all member dentists have what they need, when they need it and even before it is needed to succeed.
The ADA also publishes oral health recommendations based on data from clinical studies and systematic reviews. The ADA’s general recommendations do a great job of addressing the needs for many patients. As a member of the ADA, Johnson Family Dentistry adheres to the ADA guidelines, however we also customize our services to fit every individual patient’s needs and wants, focusing on a personalized approach to treatment and prevention.
Home oral care is an important contributor to oral health, and can help lessen the need for extensive dental intervention in the future. The ADA home oral care guide is a summary of recommendations which can be used to help facilitate discussions with patients about their home oral health care habits. Since no two people are the exactly the same, it’s important to help patients take charge of their oral health at home with these tailored, evidence-based oral care recommendations.
Advise all patients to:
- Brush teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Clean between teeth daily
- Eat a healthy diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks
- See a dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease
- For patients with increased risk of gum disease, consider mouth rinse or toothpaste with proven antimicrobial activity
- For patients with increased risk of caries, consider fluoridated mouth rinse
- For patients who struggle to clean between their teeth, consider what interdental cleaning tool might be best
For patients seeking or needing improved plaque removal, consider a power toothbrush
- Discourage practice of do-it-yourself orthodontic treatment
- Recommend that patients drink fluoridated water
- Discuss tobacco cessation (smoking and smokeless tobacco)
- Recommend that patients avoid oral piercings
About Johnson Family Dentistry – Orlando, FL
At Johnson Family Dentistry, we are a dental practice devoted to restoring and enhancing the natural beauty of your smile using conservative, state-of-the-art procedures that will result in beautiful, long, lasting smiles. We are conveniently located next to Publix Super Market in The Shoppes at Eastwood. Contact us Today at (407) 282-0002.
Our Services include the following; Bonding, Crowns & Bridgework, Dental Implants, Fillings, General and Cosmetic Dentistry, Oral Cancer Screenings, Periodontal (Gum) Disease Therapy, Porcelain Veneers, Professional Teeth Cleanings, Removable Dentures, Root Canal Treatment, Sealants, Teeth Whitening, TMJ/TMD Treatment, and Tooth Extractions.